Help Protect Our Water System - Learn about Cross Connections
The Yarmouth Water Department maintains a cross connection program to protect our customers. A cross -connection is any actual or potential connection between the drinking water lines and potential sources of pollution or contamination, such as a piping arrangement or equipment that allows the drinking water to come in contact with non-potable liquids, solids or gases hazardous to humans in the event of a backflow event.
Backflow is the undesired reverse of the water flow in the drinking water distribution lines. This backwards flow of the water can occur when the pressure created by equipment, such as a boiler or air-conditioning system, is higher than the water pressure inside the water distribution line (back pressure). It can also occur when the pressure in the distribution line drops due to routine occurrences such as water main breaks or heavy water demand, causing the water to flow backward inside the water distribution system (back-siphonage).
Backflow is a problem that many water consumers are unaware of. It's a problem that each and every water customer has a responsibility to help prevent.
- Never submerge a hose in soapy water buckets, pet watering containers, pools, tubs, sinks, drains or chemicals.
- Never attached a hose to a garden sprayer without the proper backflow preventer.
- Buy and install a hose bibb vacuum breaker on any threaded water fixture. Installation of the hose bibb vacuum breaker is as easy as attaching a garden hose to a spigot. These devices cost approximately $6.00 and are available at most hardware stores and home-improvement centers.
- Buy appliances and equipment with a backflow preventer.
- Buy and install backflow prevention devices or assemblies for all high and moderate hazards connections such as connections to fire protection systems, boilers or process water lines, docks and marinas. Check with the Water Department for the specific type of device required for your system. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
What is a Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker?
Hose Bibb Vacuum Breakers are a small inexpensive devices with hose connections which are simply attached to sill cocks and threaded faucets or wherever there is a possibility of a hose being attached which could be introduced to a contaminant.
However, the Hose Bibb breaker should not be used under continuous pressure.