I want to add a bedroom / addition to my house. What is requried?
The Health Department, through our office records, will help you determine if your existing septic system is large enough to accommodate your proposed renovations, in addition to meeting the required setbacks. Our office will also determine if your house lot is located within the Town of Yarmouth Zone II Areas of Wellhead Contribution. In general, properties located within this Zone II are limited to one bedroom per 10,000 square feet of land area. For example, a vacant lot of 20,000 square feet that is located within the Zone II is limited to two bedrooms with the installation of a standard Title V septic system. If your existing house and lot do not meet the minimum standard, you may be required to record a Deed Restriction on your property deed, which limits the total number of bedrooms, at the Barnstable County Registry of Deeds. Don’t forget to check with the Building Department to address any zoning issues.

Zone II Areas of Wellhead Contribution

Show All Answers

1. What is Title V?
2. My septic system has failed. What do I do?
3. How often should I pump my septic system?
4. I am selling my house. What is required?
5. I want to add a bedroom / addition to my house. What is requried?
6. I wish to landscape my yard. What do I need to know?
7. Is there a Tax Credit available for septic system installations?
8. Is there money available for septic pumping and/or replacement of my septic system?